- “Freedom from physical restraint;”
- “Freedom from arbitrary or despotic control;”
- “The positive enjoyment of various social, political or economic rights and privileges;” and
- “The power of choice.”
- “The office, authority and administration of a tyrant;”
- “A rigorous condition imposed by some outside agency or force;” or
- “An oppressive, harsh or unjust act.”
On this July 4th, I am celebrating the spirit, courage and common sense of the authors of the Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution. They knew that individual liberties were the heart and soul of a democracy because individual liberties protect the people from governmental abuse of power.